Thursday, September 25, 2008

Go Gunners!





I got the chance to see Arsenal, my favorite football (or soccer) club in action on Tuesday night at Emirates, their home stadium. You hear stories about how fanatical the English can be about their football, but you really need to see a live game in order to get the full scope of the madness. They sing and chant and scream their heads off the ENTIRE time! You seriously come back deaf after the match. What sucks is, they really cut down on the drinking (which you can only do in designated areas outside) and smoking(which you can't do at all). I was totally looking forward to some good, old-fashioned hooligan behavior, and I was robbed! I guess I gotta give them kudos for getting into the match as much as they do cuz I need about 12 tall boys and a carton of smokes to get as loud as they can get sober.
What occurred to me during the match was that some of the players on the field were all of 16 years old. Imagine that for a sec. You get paid a fortune to play a game for a career in front of 57,000 people every week, and you can pretty much screw off in high school! And I'm not even getting into the amount of 'tail' you can already score before you even know what to do with it. All this time, I thought the greatest gig ever was being Ricky Schroeder on Silver Spoons. Boy was I wrong! He can shove that train up his 'arse', I'd rather be one of these crazy footballers any day. Now toss me a Kronenburg and point me towards the groupies! Game on!!

3 comments:

Vince M said...

Alright, take it easy, Tanner. Be glad they aren't roaring drunk with flaming ciggies in their hands, things used to get quite a bit hairy in the ol' days.

flatelephant said...

thats awesome. we went to the galaxy vs chivas game this year, which was my first soccer game, and it was a lot of fun.

Anonymous said...

Nice. I wish I had a chance to go to a Premier League game. ...even if it was Arsenal.